On Ringo Lake: Part 3

With this years mystery I challenged myself to finish each part before I start the next.  Otherwise I end up with a few of each and never know what I really need to do without reading all the directions again.

After finishing Part 2 up on Sunday, I figured out how many strips I needed and set out cutting. ….

20171210_195656.jpg

I made 3 that night to make sure they were coming out correctly.

Monday I spent time cutting all my rectangles and a few of the triangles.

Tuesday I pieced one side of 12 pieces.

Wednesday I had dinner plans with friends – no sewing time.

Today I’m busy with work and a Christmas party after.

The forecast shows more sewing time this weekend.  I can’t wait.

Shared on Quiltville Mystery Link-up Part 3

On Ringo Lake: Part Two

Before I started on Part 2 of the mystery, I remembered that my triangle rulers were slippery.  My favorite way to add grips to my rulers is with the Nexcare Flexible Clear medical tape.  I love that I can tear it to the size I need.

 

20171206_203049.jpg
ORL Part 2 the start

Here I’ve added a small strip to the top of my triangle.   On my Easy Angle, I added tape to the front and back to allow flipping the ruler while cutting.  The Clear tape makes it easy to see the lines I need to use.

 

 

6% of the goal achieved and the rest cut waiting on assembly.  Not looking forward to all the trimming – but my personal goal is to be more accurate with this quilt.

20171206_203019.jpg
ORL Part 2 the parts

 

Last week was a busy one for me, the pieces sat like this until Sunday when I made time to start piecing.  I sat down and paired up the pieces … my love of office supplies shines thru.

The clipboard holding my 8.5 x 12.5 ruler with the grippers up holding all the pieces. As I was working I thought a piece of sandpaper would work really well too.

20171209_200531.jpg
ORL Part 2 the finish

I also love Sort Kwik – it makes separating the pieces much easier.  Being in the midwest in the winter my hands are usually dry and the pieces just stick.  With this it’s easy to fan them apart.

By Sunday evening all of my flying geese were finished and pressed.  I broke the process into several steps, allowing myself time to run errands and watch a movie between them.  It worked well for me as sometimes the monotony of piecing gets boring.

On Ringo Lake Part One

It’s my favorite time of year…. the Quiltville Mystery time!

20171125_111703.jpg

This year I’m using close to the same colors and I decided to go with solids instead of scrappy.  My hubby asked that I make a few quilts that don’t use white.

I picked up the Kona Shadow (gray) when the colors were first released.  On Saturday, I was able to pick up the pink, turquoise and brown after a great internal debate on the right shade of turquoise.  I’m glad I landed on the lighter shade and love how my colors remind me of a 1950s kitchen along with a great sunset.

 

Shortly after getting home I set out cutting my strips and used a large jelly roll pan like Bonnie suggested.  I typically use a 8.5 x 12.5 ruler and I like the larger size along with the sides.

20171125_113331.jpg

 

Between picking up my sewing area explosion, watching football and playing with pups I was able to get the strips sewn.

 

IMG_20171126_154615_982.jpg

I really loved the tray as I was working with the pieces and moving between cutting, sewing an ironing.

 

20171126_185306.jpg

 

 

Finally on Sunday evening, I made the push to get the blocks completed, plus 6 extras.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’m so excited to have the first part complete!  After three years of mysteries, I finally remember to document how many pieces were in each strip, just in case we make more 9 patches.

….. since I was in a sewing groove, I finally added the last 5 borders to my En Provence mystery quilt.  No pictures yet, my design wall is too small.